This KB reviews the process of completing the Admin Only Action of Defer Attendance. These actions are only for ISSS Admin to see and each action contains a specific SEVIS Action. This will show in the Completed Card on the Request Tab as well as in the History Log for each student.
In the header of an F-1 Student’s record, we will see a SEVIS Actions button with a drop-down menu. The dropdown will contain: Cancel, Complete Program, Defer Attendance, Shorten Program, and Terminate.
Invited, Pre-Arrival, Check-in Stage.
ISSS Admins can use Manage Initial Program and Session Dates to edit the Initial Session Start Date, Program Start Date, and Program End Date for a SEVIS record in Initial SEVIS status and the Initial Session Start Date is in the future. This action is necessary in situations such as:
- Student will start the program of study at a later term because of an unforeseen circumstance, such as the failure to obtain a visa in time
- New initial student will not be able to enter the United States by the Program Start Date
- Start dates must be adjusted because the student's change of status application is still pending with USCIS
- Student is coming for an earlier term, if the school admits the student for that earlier term
- To correct errors in the dates previously entered
- Student is coming for a later term due to Covid-19
Similar to Cancel, if Defer Attendance is selected from the Actions button on the student menu, the ISSS Admin will automatically be directed to the student’s SEVIS Record and enter the Manage Initial Program and Session Dates screen:
Enter the new dates and remarks directly into SEVIS.
Once the record is updated, the deferral will appear in the Completed Card on the Requests tab.
Once the record is updated, the deferral will also appear in the History Log as well.