This KB provides an overview of the Stage Configurations in ISSS Student. The Stage Configurations house the new intuitive interface where ISSS Admins can create custom experiences of deploying information to and collecting data from students for each stage of the visa lifecycle. From the Invited Stage through the Archived Stage, information and instructions for students are set up in the Stage Configuration and multiple components can be conditional based on campus, educational level, visa type, program major, and country of citizenship.
- Student Visa Lifecycle Stages
- Navigating to the Stage Configurations Wizard
- Out-of-the-box Default Configurations
Student Visa Lifecycle Stages
For more information on setting up a configuration for each stage, click on the appropriate link below:
- Invited Stage: The student has been accepted to study, but has not received an I-20/DS-2019 or are in Draft SEVIS status. A newly-admitted international student in the Invited stage can receive a welcome letter supported with HTML, video, and images, all configured by the ISSS office. The available requests will support the submission of personal information and financial documents for the initial I-20/DS-2019.
- Pre-arrival Stage: Students in the Pre-Arrival stage will enter the stage when the initial I-20 or DS-2019 is created and will remain in this stage until 30 days prior to the program start date. They’ll have access to pre-arrival communications and can submit documents related to check-in.
- Check-in Stage: Students can access check-in communications and a request screen. The student check-in stage will be triggered by the program start date, calculated 30 days prior to the program start date.
- Continuing Stage: Students have approved check-In and initial registration. Students will remain in this stage while they are in Active SEVIS status. Continuing students can view their pending current requests and receive prompts to complete these requests before starting additional requests.
- Post Completion/Graduated Stage: This stage will include students in post-completion OPT, and students in their grace period who have NOT applied for post-completion OPT.
- Archived Stage: Students who have completed their grace period following graduation or program end date who did NOT apply for post-completion OPT, or who have completed post-completion OPT. Any students who have canceled, transferred, or terminated status, they will appear in the archived stage.
Navigating to the Stage Configurations Wizard
To get to the Student Portal Wizard, navigate to Configuration. In the menu under Configuration, the ISSS Admin will see the subsections of Invited Stage, Pre-arrival Stage, Check-in Stage, Continuing Stage, Post-Completion/Graduated Stage, and Archived Stage. In order to create, edit, or delete a stage configuration, the ISSS Admin must first go to the appropriate stage. Note: stage configurations cannot be moved from one stage to another.
Out-of-the-box Default Configurations
All client sites will have an out-of-the-box default stage configuration for each of the stages. These default stage configurations can be located at the top of the list of configurations in each of the stage configurations dashboards.
The default configuration is designed to display to students who may not fall within the conditions of any of the custom stage configurations that your site may set up. It is recommended to open the default configuration and build it out to your institution's needs. Note: The default configuration cannot be deleted or duplicated.