The Program Finder incorporates classic program search options and places them into one modern interface. In this way, an admin can facilitate a dynamic program search to be as simple or advanced as needed from one page within Terra Dotta.
The Program Finder is a feature of the Admin Console.
This article discusses the following topics related to the Program Finder:
To access the Program Finder:
1) From the Admin Console, navigate to the "Programs" menu.
2) Click on "Program Finder".
Any admin user is able to access the Admin Console. However, only users with the following permissions will be able to search programs in the Program Finder:
- Program Admin: Program Searching and Listing
To access the Program Wizard with the "Create New Program" link, note the following permission-related information:
The “Program Admin: Program Wizard” permission is a blanket permission that, once granted, allows the admin user to fully access the Program Wizard and take such actions as creating a program. An administrator in your office with Staff Admin permissions can grant this permission to other administrators or to a group. Full Program Wizard functionality will be enabled only after an administrator is granted this permission.
Two other permissions exist for users needing limited access to the Program Wizard. If a user has one of these permissions, then they do not need to be granted the full "Program Admin: Program Wizard" permission and will only be able to navigate to the relevant tabs as follows:
- Program Wizard: Dates Only
- With this permission, the user only has the ability to view and update the dates tab of the Program Wizard.
- Program Wizard: Brochure Only
- With this permission, the user only has the ability to view and update the brochure tab of the Program Wizard.
To utilize the Program Templates feature, an admin user will need the following permission:
- Program Admin: Templates
Important Note: See the Admin Console for Terra Dotta Study Abroad article for information on DAOs (data access objects).
The main "Search for Program by Name" field appears at the top of the Program Finder page next to a series of filter-related icons referred to as the filter bar. When no filters are applied, only two icons will appear: "Filter Results" and "Show Active Programs Only".
Below the search field, program search results are organized into columns as follows:
- Batch-Action Checkbox: Select one or multiple programs on which you'd like to take action. A single click on the top checkbox will auto-select all programs on the current page. When at least one checkbox is marked, a "Batch" drop-down menu will appear above the checkbox column. For detailed information on batch actions in the Program Finder, see the "Applying Batch Actions" section of this article.
- Program Group
- Active Status
- This toggle refers to whether or not the program brochure is actively available in the public program search. If deactivated, the program's brochure will not appear in the public program search.
- Additional Actions
- Choose to "View Brochure" or "Access Program Wizard" by clicking on the respective icon.
If you choose to edit a program from the Program Finder, you will be directed to the Program Wizard. Access to the classic program builder is not available in this way from within the Admin Console.
At the bottom of the page, paginated search results give the admin the option to increase or limit the number of items which appear per page. Only 10 items per results page are listed by default, drastically reducing the return time it might typically take to load all results at once. The results listing can be increased to view a maximum of 250 items per page.
The Program Finder offers an array of dynamic search and filter tools so that an admin user can quickly locate any program. These options include the following:
Search for Program by Name
Enter information in the search field to generate results based on a phrase-based search query. For details on this functionality, see the Conducting Searches in Admin Console KB article.
Show Active Programs Only
Check this box to display only those programs which have a status of "active".
Click on the "Filter Results" icon, and a display window of additional filter options will appear.
Apply one or multiple filters as desired to narrow down your search results and locate a program quickly. These filters are dynamic and include the following:
- Directory Programs Only
- Only Programs with Foreign Courses
- Program Groups
- Program Parameters
- The parameter types of "minimum value" and "maximum value" are not supported as filters at this time.
- Program Types
- This list is based on the hard-coded regions on each site and will not display regions entered as "Other" at this time.
After at least one filter is selected and applied, the "Filter Results" icon will change in appearance from a triangle to a funnel as a visual cue that a filter is in use.
In addition, two new filters will appear:
- Clear All Filters
- Clicking this icon will remove all filters in use.
- View Current Filters
- Clicking this icon triggers a modal to appear that lists the current search filters being used.
It is not possible to save search filters in the Program Finder.
If the main batch-action checkbox is marked, all programs on the current page are selected by default.
The admin has the flexibility to then select to which program they do or do not want a batch action to be applied before proceeding with applying the desired batch action.
An admin is also able to mark the batch-action checkbox on an individual basis if they do not want to select every program on the page first.
The "Apply to Full Search Results" option is available for use with a maximum of 500 programs at a time.
When the "Batch" drop-down is clicked, a full menu appears.
Select one of the following batch actions to perform directly from the Program Finder's search results page:
- Apply Cost Sheet Template
A modal appears from which you can configure your desired settings before clicking "Update" to batch apply the cost sheet template.
- Enable/Disable Course Approvals
Choose to enable or disable the Course Approval feature for one or more programs.
When programs are selected that don't have at least one affiliated foreign course, then a summary message will appear noting that the "enable Course Approvals" action was not applied.
- Apply Instructions
From the "Batch Actions" column, an admin can select the option of "Instructions" to create phase-specific instructions that are then applied to multiple programs at once. The "Batch Program Instructions" modal that appears contains a drop-down menu from which the desired application phase, such as pre-decision or post-decision, should be selected. Use WYSIWYG editor to create or paste in the desired instructions.
Click "Submit" to apply your changes.
Important Note: This batch action will overwrite any existing program instructions for the phase and programs selected.
Batch Program Brochure Status Change to Active/Inactive
From the "Batch Actions" column, an admin can choose to set one or more program brochures to "active" or "inactive" status by using the "Brochure Status Change" option.
A drop-down menu appears in the status change modal from which you can select one of the following:
- Mark program brochures as active.
- Mark program brochures as inactive.
Important Note: This configuration is what determines whether or not the program brochure is available in the public program search. It is not what allows or prevents a student from applying to the program. If there is an active app cycle for which this program is accepting applications - and the program brochure URL is displayed on a webpage from which a student could access it, then the student would be able to apply to the program this way. In addition to setting the program as inactive, you should also deactivate the program from accepting applications in all app cycles (via the "Manage Programs" interface in App Cycle Management) to ensure students cannot apply.